Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Commitment Day

This morning I popped open my first writing notebook of 2014. The notebook is a variation on a practice I read about in Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones. I buy a different notebook each month and fill it up with my thoughts and observations. I also note my runs and tape my race bibs in there. I read through the 2013 notebooks last night.
My year was like my running, up and down, and my writing entries showed it.
In 2013, I ran 425 miles and completed the AustinFit Magazine Distance Challenge; a series of six races (one ten-miler, two 10Ks, three half marathons) ending with the Austin Half Marathon; however, I rested after completing it and never quite got in gear again. Truthfully, I didn’t “feel” like doing anything; emotionally, physically, spiritually, or professionally. I was on autopilot most of the time. Guess what happens when you do nothing? Nothing. I wasn’t any closer to completing my ninth marathon. I wasn’t any closer to finishing any stories. I wasn’t any closer to losing weight.
Begin with the end in mind.
Stephen Covey writes that to be successful we must do that. My end is a different reading experience this time next year. I committed today, physically and symbolically, to making better choices in 2014 whether I feel like it or not. I ran the Commitment Day 5K this morning. It’s a nationwide, family-friendly New Year’s Day 5K Fun Run/Walk dedicated to starting a national conversation about living a Healthy Way of Life. I parked without blowing out a tire, so I was already way ahead of a month ago at the Thunderclouds Turkey Trot. It was a beautiful, crisp morning for over 1,000 of us. I finished it faster than any other 5K I’ve run for over a year. A good way to start off 2014.
Good choices have good consequences.
With today's race bib securely in my new notebook, I am committed in 2014 to taking lunch breaks, intentionally planning my meals, talking more kindly to myself, writing, hydrating, getting more sleep, having a consistent daily quiet time and completing a ninth marathon. Only 364 days to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment