Monday, March 4, 2013

The Case of the Reluctant Leader



Three years ago I turned from Della Street into Perry Mason.  I took over managing a team of my administrative peers.  The choice was easy then.  Manage or be managed.  I said, “Yes,” readily to the promotion. You always think a title change helps make the transition easier.  It doesn’t.  These are the same people you were with when you were poor mouthing a departmental directive or calling in for “mental health” days. Still, as Spark & Hustle founder, Tory Johnson, says “Don’t wait until you’re comfortable – that day may never come.”   I’m learning, though, managing is hard.  Leading as an introvert is even more difficult.   It's as if I'm learning to run all over again.  Extroverts in the front.  Introverts in the back.  I remind myself, we all run the same distance, just at a different pace, and we all finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment